Tuesday 18 June 2013

Tasteless



I am currently reading this book, an autobigraphy about Molly Birnbaum, who after an accident lost her sense of smell.  Once you lose your sense of smell you effectively lose your sense of taste - you are able to recognise sweet, sour, salty and bitter, but you can't distinguish what you are eating even though you can see it.

It made me wonder what smells and tastes I would miss most, so here's a  list of some of them:

oranges and lemons - the smell from the zest
freshly baked bread and cakes
wood smoke on a cool winter evening
freshly cut grass on a summers day
rain on hot concrete
the smell of fresh line dried washing
strawberries
sea air
roses
lavender
vanilla
smell of bacon cooking
freshly brewed coffee
steak on a barbeque
feijoas

What would you miss most if you lost your sense of smell?







1 comment:

  1. I love all those smells you've listed, also a rainy garden after a hot spell, honeysuckle, orange blossom, old fashioned pinks...I'd be happy not to smell my dog after she's rolled in something gross though! xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.