Thursday 13 June 2013

The Quilt Sandwich Story

Well, Tuesday's effort at pinning and basting my Ruby quilt was a bit of disaster.  Yes, I taped it to the floor.  Yes, I started in the centre, smoothing it out as I went.  When I unstuck it from the floor - the backing was a wrinkly puffy mess.  I stomped my feet like a three year old, ate a bit of chocolate and had a whinge to my sister in Australia.  Later  that evening I googled "making a quilt sandwich" and looked at a few different tutorials. Eventually I decided to try this one from Oh Fransson.

It meant that yesterday I had to move all the furniture out of my dining room, and I had to wash the floors - I hate doing that.  However this gave me a large hard flat surface to work on.

Did it work? Yes, I am pleased to say it did. I think that the main problem on Tuesday was that I was doing it on carpet and possibly, because the backing fabric is a cotton poplin, it may have been a bit slipperier than quilting cotton.  Lesson learnt.  All going well I can start quilting it this weekend.



2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog, and really like this quilt. I hope to enjoy more of your posts as I have time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt - the colors make me happy!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.