Monday 23 March 2015

Finished - Jacob's Ladder Quilt










This quilt has been a while in the making.  But this year, has been the year of finishing those WIPs, that have been languishing in their boxes and bags.  As mentioned in earlier posts, once I sewed the blocks together (and I was amazed at how little time that took) I was inspired to get the backing and start quilting.

For the backing fabric I have used Forest Floor from the Wildwood range, I was really pleased at how well, I got the pattern repeat joined too.  An advantage of using a patterned backing over a solid fabric  I have discovered, is that it is easier to hide the odd little wrinkle too.

I can't do FMQ, only variations on straight lines, so quilting this stumped me for a while.  In the end I decided to outline stitch most of the large scrappy squares and solids surrounding them.  I used two shades of grey to match the solid shot cottons (figuring that it would camouflage any really wonky stitching).  I may still go back and quilt do extra quilting in the really large scrappy blocks and some of the four patches too.

Binding is a blue floral from V & Co's Simply Style range.   This was not done without drama either. It wasn't until I was folding it over ready to clip for hand stitching down that I realised I had sewn it onto the wrong side.  Talk about being brain dead.  I definitely wasn't going to unpick it all, especially as the shot cotton frays so easily, so the hand stitching is now on the front of the quilt. Luckily my stitching is always very tidy and discreet. (Thanks Mum, for making me redo the very first hem I ever sewed - I think I learned that lesson really well). As a bonus, I think these are the best mitred corners I have ever done on a quilt.

Details:  Grey solids: shot cottons from Spotlight
               Scrappy blocks - mainly Denyse Schmidt, Bonnie & Camille, V& Co and various others
               Finished Size:  approximately 64" square
               2.5" squares: 424
               HST 64 trimmed to 4.5"

I love how this has turned out, and  now only wish it was a little bigger.

So there you have it - my second quilt finish for  2015.

15 comments:

  1. I love the bright squares on the dark background ... it's really effective. That shot cotton can be a pain with it's fraying, I wouldn't have unpicked the binding either! Thank goodness you have fabulous hand stitching skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! What is the finished size? Also, what is the dark grey fabric? Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all those colours it's a lovely quilt. You must be feeling chuffed with yourself also with all that very neat hand quilting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely finish... I love how the peachy bits 'pop' out from the assorted blues & greys! I too struggle with fmq but getting the quilting done for me is tres expensive, so am seeing straight line stitching in a different light... and yours looks wonderful! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finish! It looks lovely on your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for a finished quilt! Was so cool to see this in real life on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely quilt Julie - you'll be very pleased to have it finished and able to be used. :-) You write that you wish it was bigger - how big is it? It looks a decent size on your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is truly beautiful, a real delight. I loved the backing fabric, stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is beautiful!! I love the front and the back, they are both beautiful in their own ways. I am pleased for you that you are pleased with it too!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love it Julie - everything and i think you nailed the quilting! it looks fantastic :) and I love that our mums have such beneficial and long lasting impacts with the likes of redo-ing hems!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Second quilt for 2015... wow I'm still working on my first that I had started last year!

    Really love the shot cotton in grey on this quilt... congrats on number 2!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A work of art I tell you!!! I love everything about this quilt friend! The colors....the patterns....just a stunner!!!! You should be so proud of yourself!!! Happy week to you dear friend! Nicole xoox

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is beautiful - well done on the finish - it looks amazing on the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so beautiful - the colours really pop against the grey backgrounds!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.