Sunday 11 October 2015

Weekending








  • Relics of times past.  A trip to Punga Flat in Thames to see where my great-great-great grandparents lived when they came to New Zealand, organised by one of my cousins who is mad keen on genealogy.  After a hike of about an hour mainly uphill, and then finding the now overgrown site, there wasn't a lot to see. Lots of old broken bottles,  rusted metal from ovens, buckets, and bedheads left behind.  It would have been quite a walk to the nearest town back in those days, certainly made me appreciate my life today. I would liked to have had a little dig around to see what other relics could be found.  There were also lots of little tunnels dug into the sides of hills, these were usually for seeing if there was gold in them - this was an area that did produce a lot back in the 1800"s.  
  • Reading -  I have just finished The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier, set in the slavery days of n America, I really enjoyed this book and will have to try her other books now. Started Three Cups of Tea by Ian Mortenson, I am finding this interesting so far, especially since I have discovered the controversy surrounding his charity and works since the book was published,
  • Sewing -  all the Liberty dresdens have been done, I still need to find the  perfect background fabrics.  
Wish you all a fabulous week, back to school and work for us now.

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely old place to visit and all the lovely bush. I also read and enjoyed the Last Run Away. Loving your Dresdens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed visiting where your ancestors started their lives in NZ. I too enjoyed The Last Runaway and could recommend Tracy Chevalier's books. I have read them all and loved every one of them. Tracy has a history background and meticulously researches her books. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like a great place to visit, getting back to your roots. Love the sound of both books, I have put them on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your weekending post. Those books sound interesting. I have just bought three new audio books. Great in the evening when my eyes are tired from stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Liberty-licious dresdens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quilt blocks. I really like "The Girl With the Pearl Earring" by Tracy Chevalier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope we have those books in Finland, those look interesting! Your Liberty Dresdens are super super pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read "The Last Runaway"- really good! Love those Dresdens too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dresdens are looking lovely! Sounds like a super interesting expedition - life then and now is so fascinating isn't it? Hope your week is off to a great start. Going to go and read about that author now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a fun time. That is so amazing about your family.
    I find looking back into family history so very interesting.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.