Saturday 5 November 2016

A Hexi Garden Quilt






While I was at the Festival of Quilts yesterday, Linda and I came across an elderly lady called Muriel Dick, who was spreading out her Hexi WIP to display to a friend.  Of course it immediately attracted a lot of attention and questions.  She has been working on this since 2003.  It appears to use approximately 1" hexis,  the templates have been hand cut, none of these modern pre cut ones I use. She is still working out how to finish it off, but it sounds as though though it will involve more hexis. I love the little insects she has fussy cut and placed sporadically among the flowers.  Destined to be a family heirloom for sure.

13 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever seen anything quite as beautiful, What an amazing project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Muriel is certainly enjoying the journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous quilt, Muriel is doing a fantastic job!! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is truly amazing! What a labor of love. Thank you for sharing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. quilt goals for sure! I have never seen anything like this and it is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! 1"??? That's so pretty! I was at the show today, I wish I had see that too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a stunning quilt, we can only aspire to make an heirloom like this can't we! X :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool. I am making something similar with larger quilt as you go hexis.( Also flower garden themed. ) I didn't see hers. Bother

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!!! This is beautiful. So much talent and creativity.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a treasure! How lucky you were to see it... I love how all the flowers merge into each other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! 2003! That quilt looks incredible. I am so glad that you got to see it in person.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  12. This really is quite beautiful
    My favourite quilt still is my first ever which was a hexi quilt with hand cut templates when I was 17

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.