I made a coat!!
When I first fell into the rabbit hole of indie pattern designers, and discovered Papercut Patterns earlier this year, I immediately feel in love with their Sapporo Coat pattern. I loved the diagonal pocket seam on the front and the elegant cocoon shape. This coat has been on my want to make list, but relegated down the list as being to hard.
Fast forward to winter, and cooler mornings, a workplace that doesn't have aircon/heating all the time, and I decided to be brave and make this.
I visited Draper's Fabrics in Newmarket during their birthday sale, and purchased a beautiful cherry red and grey wool/linen/cotton blend fabric, that's not to thick, not too light, still cosy feeling and a lovely patterned viscose for the lining.
I have read numerous blogs and reviews saying that it is quite an oversized coat, so I made the smallest size available xxs/xs. I didn't feel confident enough to adjust seam allowances or alter the pattern any further this time. Cutting out the pattern seemed to take longer that the actual sewing of the garment, and I made tailor's tacks on all the markings instead of cutting notches.
Papercut Patterns have a lovely detailed little instruction booklet with all their patterns, and I did refer to these youtube tutorials for help occasionally.
Overall I am really pleased with how this has coat has turned out. There are a couple of little maker's faults with it, but no one notices them and I'm not going to point them out.
**Photos of me by Mr J**