Wednesday 25 July 2018

Talking Turkey





Finally working on my Solstice Dream project again.

I'm up to the bees on the last block needed to complete the centre panels.  I have to admit I have been a bit hesitant about making these bees.  The stitch used is called Turkey work, or Turkey knots and is actually what is used to make Turkish rugs.   After watching a couple of you tube tutorials, I had a couple of practice attempts and then on to the real things.   Gosh they use up a lot of thread, and make a bit of a mess when it's time to trim them.  The result is a very tactile if somewhat unusual coloured bee.  Only two to go, though I think my hair cutting skills need a little work before I'm totally pleased with them.

9 comments:

  1. They look good to me, but then I'm not a hairdresser :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute! I'm not good enough at this kind of stitching to produce something so cute - I can see I need pratice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work, you're brave to try a new stitch.
    And why not?
    I think they look cute and very bug like. Nice embroidery on the border too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a nice sharp pair of scissors! And little ones too! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, a very cute bee! Those little blue buds caught my eye too, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute bee! I have not heard of turkey knots, you-tube tutorials can be great for learning new things. I followed a tutorial to learn how to sew in an invisible zip this past week and it was so easy and clear to follow. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have a sweet bee indeed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Nice...https://goo.gl/X7vVXj

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.