Monday 20 August 2018

A Very Hungry Caterpillar















During the weekend, my cousin had her first child - a little girl,  so finally I can reveal the secret sewing my sister and I have been doing.

Earlier this year when we found out she was pregnant, my sister @janinemehrtens suggested that we make her a wall hanging for the baby's room.  I agreed to the plan as long as I was told what I was doing.

So my sister who lives in Australia designed our pattern,  to the theme of the children's classic picture book - A Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.  She made half the blocks, including the fabulous caterpillar, fruit (check out the detailing on those strawberries and oranges) and cherry pie and then sent them to me with background felt  ( which is a very pale blue, so I could make mine, and backing fabric and binding to finish it off.

Thankfully they were very quick and easy blocks to do.  After assembling them and stressing somewhat over quilting felt, I opted for a very narrow quilting line somewhat close to the seams,
It was backed and bound in a coordinating print from from Andover Fabrics Hungry Caterpillar collection.

It has now been posted off to my cousin, along with a piece of dowling cut to fit, so it was ready to hang and a copy of the book for many future story times.


11 comments:

  1. That is such a sweet wall hanging, it will be treasured I'm sure! Love the binding! And it's always been a fav book with our family, kids & grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous. Your sister is very creative. I am sure this pattern would sell easily if she made it available. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun cheerful design.....great teamwork sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful gift you and your sister have made Julie! And what a clever designer your sister is! I know our grandson loves his Hungry Caterpillar placemat and bowl we have for his dinner times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely delightful! How lovely that you and your sister combined forces on this project. Your cousin will be delighted to receive such a great wall hanging and the baby will enjoy looking at it and hearing the story for many years to come. A special gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, I love it it!! What a well-executed great idea and design!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful and thoughtful gift, made with love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and your sister do beautiful work. That's a great design, beautiful colors and embroidery.
    I'm sure it will be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely gift, made with love.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely baby gift and basing on The Hungry Caterpillar was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful present made by you and your sister.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.