Thursday 4 October 2018

Things Here Lately








  • A new sewing project 
Yes, I'm obviously a sucker for punishment, cos I am sewing with rayon again. The sewing hasn't been too bad actually, I find cutting out out harder because it seems to slip and slide.  I'm at the point though, where I'm not sure whether to continue or try and turn it into something else.  For some reason, once I attached the neckband,  the bottom of the sides and back, aren't really hanging evenly  I've tried trimming it, but if I take any more off, I think it will end up too short.  I don't really want to throw it out, cos I love the fabric.  Anyway, I'll persevere for a little longer, luckily the fabric wasn't expensive.

  • Recent good reads.
The Lost Vintage by Ann Mah is set predominantly in modern day France, but takes you back to life in German occupied Vichy during WWII.

A Month of Sundays by Liz Byrski is set in the Blue Mountains of Australia, about 4 woman from an online book club that meet for the first time, sharing a love of books and their life and histories.

The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart by Holly Ringland.  I think this might be one of my favourite reads for 2018.  Set in Australia, it is a hard read at times describing abusive relationships, combined with family dynamics and histories, and strong female characters.  It's not all bad though, with lovely descriptions of Australian native flowers and their meanings.  In a way I found this a similar read to another favourite novel The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.

  • Spring in my Garden
No spring bulbs or blossoms in my garden, but my Manuka shrubs are flowering, and I love the splash of colour they bring at this time of year.

Kalanchoe pumilla - this lovely potted succulent was a cutting I purloined one day while walking - luckily it seems to thrive on neglect.

Chinese Ground orchid (Bletilla) for a bright splash of mauve.  This seems to survive light frosts, lots of rain and summer drought.




4 comments:

  1. Having seen the lovely pink jacket finished on IG I’m glad you found a solution. Thanks for the new book recommendations. I’m always adding to my list !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just read The Month of Sundays and gave tthe Lost Flowers in my TBR pile - cheap buys from Oz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am catching up here but was happy to see the jacket issue resolved. Beautiful flower photos and thank you for the book reviews, I have enjoyed several of the books you have had on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    Spring has Sprung for you. So excited.
    I like the jacket.
    I always add your books to my read list. Thank You!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.