Thursday 23 March 2017

Hexis and Pom-poms












Sometime last year my sister sent me a couple of hundred 2.5" squares of scrap Amy Butler fabrics, leftover from quilts she had made.  As soon as I saw these fabrics, I knew  I wanted to make her a pillow similar to my AMH hexi pillow for her birthday.  Now that it is finally her birthday, and she has opened her gift,  I can show it off.

 Lots of lovely jewel toned 1" hexis were stitched together and bordered with a white solid.  I love how this framed them and really let the colours glow.  I drew overlapping circles over the whole pillow top.  The hexis have been quilted in a variegated reddish/orange Sue Spargo thread and the white in a matching perle 8.

I had intended to use an Amy Butler fabric for the binding, however while trawling the aisles of Spotlight one day, I came across this orange pom-pom trim and thought it would be perfect to highlight the quilting and add a little whimsical fun and POP (she has an aqua blue chair in her sewing room, that I envisage this pillow living on.) to her pillow.

This was rather challenging to attach, I hand basted it on first, and curved the corners of the pillow, so the pom-poms didn't all bunch up.  My walking foot still didn't like sewing this much, after one broken needle, I swapped over to a denim needle. The back is a basic envelope enclosure in an Amy Butler fabric too.

I love how this has turned out, and think it plays very nicely with my AMH pillow, so there may be another one in my future one day.  I  have, however, decided that only very special people will be worthy of pom-poms.

11 comments:

  1. You really finishing touches on this project are just perfect! Changing the colour thread, the Pom poms, too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW!! What a fabulous finish! And an inspired idea to use the pop-pom trim - what a great pop of FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I don't even need to tell you ~ I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love your Pom-Pom trimming! Just finishes your lovely cushion off perfectly. Lovely hexies and great stitching. So bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty is this? Of course, I love anything with pompoms! Add them to Amy Butler hexies and who wouldn't love this cushion?! I was only thinking this morning that I should probably make another hexie cushion myself! This may very well be the inspiration I need!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a super cushion, I just think the pompoms are perfect with the colourful hexagons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything in the picture. Fabrics, hand quilting and pom poms :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is lovely. And the pom poms are very fun.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely cushion, and the pompoms are the perfect finishing touch! Lots of great close-up pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful cushion - love the pom pom trim!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The poms are amazing on this! Love the quilting you chose for the hexies.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.