Friday, 28 August 2020
Sunday, 23 August 2020
Way back in November last year, I attended a workshop taken by Anna Maria Horner, where she taught us to make her Folk Flower block. I made two in the work shop and over the following few weeks, I made another 11. While I loved the look of them, I wasn't happy with how my flowers wouldn't stay flat but tended to pucker when stitched, regardless of how many pins or how much starch I used. Because of my dissatisfaction with this I stopped at 13 blocks in total, and subsequently put them away.
Fast forward a few months to another lockdown, and an indecisive sewing mood, (really my inner voice nagging me to finish some of my quilting wips), I pulled out these blocks, trimmed them up, cut their setting pieces from assorted low volume fabrics, and subsequently joined them together. Because the blocks were quite big, it only took me an afternoon, and I'm now wondering why it took me so long.
Voila, one quilt top approximately 50" square, ready to be sent away for quilting. I have decided that this quilt will be my charity quilt for the year, so will be donating it to the Totara Hospice once I have finished it. I feel quite a sense of relief that I have finished one of my outstanding projects, and am now looking forward to sewing something new.
It's quite impossible to see all the different low volume fabrics used as the backround when it's hanging up, so the swirled top shows the different colours and prints quite nicely.
Stay safe, stay home, wear a mask, Kia kaha!
Thursday, 20 August 2020
Monday, 17 August 2020
I bought this fabric in a sale about a year ago. It is a seersucker type fabric in a blend of linen/cotton and wool, in a deep raisin colour. As soon as I saw it, I pictured it as a winter Eva dress (I have previously made three linen versions for summer). A year and a second lockdown later my dress has been made.
Unfortunately I think the fabric is the wrong choice for this dress pattern. It fits well, but I think the crinkles make the lantern style skirt effect a lot more pouffier and pronounced.
I have given it a wash to see if that will soften the fabric and hopefully it may lose some of the volume. At this point I feel it makes me look as though I'm wearing a maternity dress and I don't feel as though I have the confidence to wear it happily out in public. I may wear it around the house while in lockdown, but I suspect this will be something I consider a sewing fail and it will end up being donated to an op shop.