Monday 23 September 2019

Hvar Jacket

I have admired this little jacket from Itch to Stitch for a while, thinking that it would make a great tran seasonal addition to my wardrobe. Last week there was a discount on it, so the pattern was subsequently purchased, printed and pieced.

Reading blog posts and viewing #hvarjacket I noticed there were a lot of suede type ones which really appealed to me. so I found a lovely deep rusty coloured butter suede fabric  from Spotlight.

Based on my measurements I made a size 4 and made a muslin from my trusty old sheet to check the fit across my shoulders. The pattern itself is very clear and easy to follow.  Kennis also links to online tutorials for slightly more difficult techniques. I have learned a new skill with Hong Kong seaming, using some lovely Liberty bias binding I had bought a while ago.  Gosh this gives a lovely finish to garments and hides any fraying and loose threads.

The fabric itself was lovely to cut and sew, however it was difficult to pin and press, so I am somewhat disappointed with how the seams  and overall finishing looks.   My fabric choice  has also somewhat hindered fitting in areas, such as inserting the sleeves, and the double layer of fabric in the collar means I lost a lot of the drape too.

It is still a wearable garment and my husband tells me that no one else will notice the imperfections I am aware of.  I like the fit and style on me, and would like to make this again, however I will be a little more cautious with my fabric selection next time.

Sunday 22 September 2019

Things Here Lately

Track up to the trig

View towards Pokeno

  • Searching back on my blog I see I made my first blossom in May 2017, some 2 years and 4 months later, I have finally finished all 68 of them.  I have even made one of the half blossoms, so only have seven of those to go now.  Pictured are some of my favourite  blocks.
  • My retaining wall garden has been overhauled.  Last Thursday, I cut back and dug out all my Star Jasmine plants.  Much as I love the scent and flowers, it was too much maintenance for me and starting to ruin our fence.  Mr J has fixed the loose fence panels, and I have completed Phase 1 of my garden renovation, planting Lomandra Lime Tuff.  Still a little bit of work required to to properly finish this off.
  • The Scout and I attempted to go hiking this morning.  Mt William walkway is a short 2.5km track, however when we got to the fence line (about a kilometre from the start) on the farm it is on, we discovered that the track to the trig was closed due to lambing season.  It was still nice to get out in some lovely weather and enjoy the morning.
Wishing you all a wonderful week, let me know what you have been up to lately.

Tuesday 10 September 2019

More Ice Cream Soda Blossoms

Welcome to the Red series, the latest installment in my blossoms,  I decided my blocks were lacking  pops of red in them, so my lovely friend Linda very kindly sent me lots of red toned fabrics.  Who would have thought, that with all the quilting fabrics I have, I was short that colour.

I have calculated that I only need to make another 8 full blossoms and 8 half blossoms (12 blossoms in total) to complete that part of the Ice Cream Soda Quilt.  Plans on making it bigger are evaporating too, so I am going to set myself a goal of having all the blossoms complete by the end of this year.

Next year my mission will be the joining pieces, I just need to find the perfect colour to make them all POP.