It was a long weekend here in New Zealand, so I made the most of the opportunity to finish some sewing projects.
- First up is a fabric basket for another swap I have joined in. Made from various scraps of text, solids, linen and Denyse Schmidt fabrics, using this tutorial. It was a nice easy pattern to sew, though I think I will use heavy weight interfacing on the lining next time I make this pattern.
- This weeks PackPatch themes were: I was born in the ..., and I would have liked to be in the ... Because I was born in the 70's, I picked paisley and green. I remember a lot of brown and orange from that time too. I would have liked to be in the 50's, I loved the full skirts, with big floral prints and twin sets. Not so keen on the horn rim glasses I would have needed though.
- And my big TA DA moment - I finished my 241 Tote. I did rows of vertical hand quilting on the centre panels in a natural linen coloured thread. The side pockets are shot cotton in a silvery grey, with AMH Social Climber as the feature side panel. The lining and strap are a charcoal shot cotton. For extra strength in the strap, I also added a strip of upholstery weight cotton ticking in the middle before 6 rows of top stitching. On the whole I am pretty pleased with how it has turned out. Sewing the curved panels was not an easy task, and I wasn't happy with how my top stitching along the centre panels and pockets looked, so after unpicking it, I decided to omit it. I would make this again, but I would probably not do a quilted centre panel.