Thursday 30 September 2021
Friday 24 September 2021
After finishing my chair cover, I still felt like playing with all my quilt fabric scraps. I didn't want to make another quilt, but decided to make a new cover for my sewing machine, my old one here, was very faded and just didn't look nice anymore.
Using the vinyl cover that came with my machine as a template for measurements, I pieced together a few scrappy blocks from predominately Anna Maria Horner scraps, and quilted them with some batting and yardage from my stash. This was the easy part,
Assembling the pieces and stitching them teogether involved quite a bit of finangling through my machine. The top corners I actually ended up hand sewing in place, All seams were left exposed, so that I could bind them, again using a beautiful Anna Maria Horer Fabric.
I'm really pleased with how this has turned out. It definitely brightens up my sewing room, and protects my machine from dust and sunlight.
Friday 10 September 2021
Earlier this week, while aimlessly browsing Instagram, I happened to come across a photo of an office chair, with a quilted seat cover. This immediately struck a chord with me, I couldn't believe I had never thought to do that to my perfectly functional but plain sewing chair. That afternoon, I pulled out my bag of Anna Maria Horner scraps ( I had a lot) and randomly started piecing strips, and squares together. For a little bit of variety, I also added some Amy Butler and Tula Pink scraps. All the fabrics are bright vibrant colours with bold designs and meld together perfectly into what I call a hot mess.
I ended up with two large scrappy quilt blocks, which I quilted with an organic (not perfectly even) diagonal cross hatch. Batting and backing fabrics were all from my stash.
I rounded the corners on the seat cover, than added a casing for elastic to be pulled through. I was so pleased with how this cover turned out. The chair back took a lot more work, a little cursing and a bit of unpicking, till I got the shape and fit right. Again I added a casing for the elastic to pull the base of the back in. Both seat cover and the back piece are fully removeable, though I don't think I ever want to take them off my chair now.
In a way it was mindless easy sewing, I certainly didn't need to be as precise with my sewing as I have needed to be with the clothes I've made lately, and I didn't really worry about what fabrics or colours were used where.
I am delighted with how it has turned out, and at how cheerful it looks, and am looking forward to more lockdown sewing in my sewing room.
Monday 6 September 2021
Wednesday 1 September 2021
Well it's been a while since I last wrote something for my rather neglected blog. I am still regularly writing and putting photos on my Instagram page though, you can find me there on justjulielou.
Currently New Zealand is three weeks into another lockdown, as the dreaded Delta Variant of Covid-19 has made it's way into the community. After two weeks with the whole country in a level 4 lockdown (this has the most restrictions) the rest of the country except Auckland and Northland is now at level 3. So I am at home with the teens, my husband is still working as he is deemed essential. I am hoping it's not going to be a long one, like a lot of my friends and family in Australia are currently experiencing. Luckily my family have all had our first doses of the vaccination.
While I can do some work from home, it does mean I am lucky enough to have more time for sewing. So far I have made two new garments. Both totally seasonally inapporpriate and dare I say simply chic in black
Firstly another Rhapsody Blouse. This one was in a beautiful soft slightly sheer dobby silk/cotton blend. Even though it is the same size as the last one I made and frequently wear, this one feels slightly tighter around the armscye. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the type of fabric. Never the less, I am still going to enjoy wearing this.
The next garment is the Peppermint Wide Strap Maxi Dress. I had bought the fabric for this about a year ago, and kept changing my mind about whether to use it for something else. Finally I decided to just get on with it. I made this in a size D for the bodice, based on my bust measurements, then graded to Size B for the rest of the dress. It is fully French seamed, has awesome big pockets ( a king size chocolate bar can fit into them) and very bra friendly. The fabric is a wonderfully soft eucalyptus/linen/cotton blend, which was beautiful to sew. I'm really looking forward to warm summer days so I can waft around in this.
While the black fabrics have now gone from my stash, I still have more fabrics ready to be turned into something new .