When Papercut Patterns released their new collection in November, I fell in love with the trouser/short pattern - called Palisade Pants. I loved the pocket detailing,and topstitching and the fact that it had an elastic waist and a faux fly. No zipper - woohoo. I bought the PDF pattern and fabric and they sat there waiting till I had time to work on them.
Just before Christmas I started sewing them, they were a relatively easy make, and Papercut Patterns instructions are very good, with diagrams as well as text.
The fabric is a linen/cotton blend, and I loved sewing with it. For the pocket lining, I used a pretty liberty fabric, I thought my shorts fabric was perhaps a little heavier than mid weight, so I did this to add a little less bulk and weight to the sides of the shorts.
Based on my measurements I was a combined S for waist and XS for hips, so I decided to make the S. The whole way through, I was worried they were going to be to small for me. They are perhaps a little shorter than I wanted, so I did a Liberty bias binding hem (unfortunately not the same as the pocket lining) so as not to not lose too much more length. Lesson learned - next time I know to make them a little longer. I could also have probably tightened the elastic a little more in the back waistband, however they are a supremely comfortable, even if the high waist takes a little getting used to after years of wearing clothes that sit on or near the hip.
I will definitely make myself another couple of pairs, maybe in a slightly lighter weight fabric, and I'm also going to invest in some Liberty with matching bias binding for future pairs too. Now all I need is a little more of tan so I don't blind the population with the glare coming off these legs.