Friday 19 January 2018

Solstice Dream - Update 1













January 1,  saw me starting my Solstice Dream  wool applique and embroidery project.  Both my sister and I are doing our own versions of this, aligning colours as closely as possible to what is used in the original pattern, while still making them to our own tastes, as we did with our Bird Dance project last year.

I have currently completed blocks one and two and am still working on block three.  I am really enjoying this project so far, it is satisfying my love of colour, texture and slow stitching. It is also challenging at times with some of the new stitches required.   Working with wool felt is not so fun when the weather is extremely warm though, as my sister who lives in Australia is constantly telling me.

The idea with both of us doing these wool felt/embroidery projects is that they are meant to make us use up our stash of felt and threads, I can emphatically say that this is not the case, and I keep requiring new colours of threads.  Such a shame ....

Pattern from here

**These blocks are really hard to get an accurate colour representation of the background felt, photo 4 is probably closest to the actual colour**

13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful project, Julie.
    Great colors and gorgeous hand embroidery, not to mention
    two times the fun doing the same project with your sister.
    Hopefully you'll get over the 'shame' of requiring new colors.
    I won't tell anyone:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your colours and embroidery. The stitches look great and I love the one around the grey felt, done in lavender/pink variegated thread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really pretty flowers with lots of interesting stitches just like your Bird Dance quilt. It must be fun working on a project with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stitching is delightful Julie! Your attention to detail and colour selections are spot-on! It's funny how some colours are harder to photograph than others.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your colour and stitching Julie, such a beautiful project to be working on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful project, the colour and design is stunning. The stitches are pure joy, the intricate detail a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning!!! Love these colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful stitching! Are you both working on the same ones at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful. I can only dream of ever achieving something this lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely project! Great stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous project! I have a Sue Spargo on my to-do list for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely marvelous!! I feel like we all get a treat, getting to see you guys work on another wonderful wool stitchery project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your embroidery is both gorgeous and perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.