Wednesday 2 November 2022

Weekending - Hiking in the Kaimai Ranges

 







Supplejack vines

Clematis Panuculata

Hurunui Hut






One of the shallower muddy sections

An elusive trail marker 

Mangamuka Hut




Over the weekend just gone, The Scout and I had a three day hiking adventure in the Kaimai Ranges.  It was my first multi day (if you can call a two night/three day hike that), starting at the Henderson Tramline North track through to Hurunui hut.

Day two: the North South track through to the Mangamuka hut. 

Day three : today the promised rain well and truly arrived as we hiked out via the TeTuhi track.

All up about 21 km, of some pretty gnarly tracks, up hill, downhill, plenty of stream crossings, sometimes swampy, and sometimes muddy, finishing off with farmland.

I will admit this challenged me, and I certainly appreciated my bed and a hot shower and flushing toilets once I got home.


2 comments:

  1. are the huts shelters to stay overnight in or resting stops if the weather is completely horrible? It looks like a wonderful time - it has been years and years since I did something like that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you're a braver lady than I am! The photos are terrific but the walking, the huts and toilets wouldn't appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.