Tuesday 26 May 2015

Hexi Love - Tips and Tricks







Ever since I made the hexi flower earlier this year to be used in a quilt for a quilting friend, I seem to have fallen under the spell of  making them.  They are the perfect portable project, and great for working on in the evening, when it is too much hard work to concentrate on a large project.

Anyway I thought I would share a couple of tips and tricks, that I have found useful when making them.
  • I have punched holes in all of my purchased precut templates, this makes it easier to pop them out with the tip of some fine scisssors when I have finished.
  • I use this tutorial for basting them, ( I also trim my squares to just over .25" on the diagonal corners) just on the wrong side of the fabric,  and not through the templates.  This saves me having to unpick it all later,
  • I use wonder clips to hold them together when stitching, saves them slipping, especially when you have quite a few stitched together.
  • Another thing I haven't done yet, but will soon, is to make some clear templates the same size as my card ones for fussy cutting.  It will be much easier then to cut a more accurate square.
I hope these help if you are new to hexi making, and please feel free to share any useful tips that I may not know.

10 comments:

  1. There's so much to love about hexi sewing, I'm pleased you are enjoying them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish you could work side by side with me on a project like this! Such a clever trick friend! Wishing you an outstanding week ahead! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear... I've been doing it the hard way all these years! Great idea to punch holes in templates, and such a great idea just to only baste through the fabric and NOT the actual template! {On the +ve side, I have fussy cut many a hexi!!}
    Your Liberty hexis are looking very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great tip punching a hole, I seem to always have an issue getting the template out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good, the hole punch is a great idea. Have you ever tried a glue stick in place of the basting? Very quick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea to put the hole in! I thought it was so that you could string all the templates together after you finished using them to keep them all together, your use is much better!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hole! Makes so much sense - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great hexi tips... especially with the little hole, so simple, but yet so brilliant! Are these all Liberty fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are all Liberty fabrics, so many different designs and colours.

      Delete
  9. Lovely work - I'm impressed that I can't see your tiny stitches as well! I've got back into EPP again too, quite enjoying the pace of it! :-) Have a nice long weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.