Monday, 6 July 2015
My youngest nephew turns 4 in August. Dinosaurs are his thing, so I decided to make a dinosaur pillow for his gift. After googling dinosaur patterns, I picked the paper pieced Triceratops from Tartankiwi. This pattern has been sitting in my to do pile since February. Now I have a month to make it - the pressure is on.
After work procraftination sewing last week, resulted in this scrappy Wheel of Fortune block, destined for my Scrappy Sampler Quilt. The pattern is from Jen Kingwell's new book Quilt Lovely. I am really pleased with how the outer curves went on the scrappy section, those inner ones were hard though, and again I found it easier to hand baste them before sewing.
Anyhoo over the weekend, I knuckled down and started sewing the dinosaur. I picked a batik from my stash (shock horror I know from all modern quilters), however I thought this fabric would help give the impression of large scaly plated skin. This block was actually a lot easier to sew than I thought it would be. It finished at 12' x 16", so I have added a little more of the backgrounds to even it to 16" square. Now it just needs a border, quilting and then it can be turned into a pillow.
Hopefully I can get it done with out any more procraftination projects distracting me.