Thursday 16 August 2018

Seaglass Sampler Quilt - Finished



Image found here

It's a bit crumpled, but you can see the texture of the quilting

Vintage lace or tatting








Some time in 2016 my sewing friends and I started a sampler quilt. We each took turns to choose the blocks were were going to make.  Miss B thought she'd like her own sampler quilt,  so picked  her colour palette - which we called sea glass.  We set up a pinterest board of images which inspired the colours I used.  Who knew there were so many different colours of sea glass you can find.  Along the way, I started making blocks that I wanted to trial, I used some precious little scraps of fabric and a piece of vintage lace/tatting that was my Gran's.  For quite a while all these blocks sat in a box, while I got distracted with new projects.

Earlier this year I made it my goal to get all these blocks pieced together and turned into a quilt top, the aim being that Miss B would receive it on her birthday at the end of April.  Epic fail on my part, but I can now report that the Sea glass Sampler quilt is finished.  It has been randomly hand quilted in 2 variegated blue threads, that mostly blend in with the denim backing, but highlight the fabrics and blocks on the front. Binding is a very vibrant green and periwinkle print from Tula Pink.

It's a little crumpled and crinkly  in these photos,  as it was fresh from the dryer after spraying with water to remove  my marking pen lines.  Tonight it will go on Miss B's bed, where I am sure Meeka will appreciate it too.

12 comments:

  1. love the colors of sea glass and you captured it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt. I can see the sea glass in it. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your finish, beautiful!
    The vintage lace is a nice touch and your hand quilting is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the seaglass colours and the quilt! Such a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful quilt! I love all the little extras, like the vintage lace & your hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your lovely Sea grass quilt finish. I am sure Miss B will be happy to display your beautiful work upon her bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely finish Julie! Your hand quilting takes it to another level! I hope it is enjoyed for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have enjoyed watching your progress on this fabulous and interesting quilt. Sometimes good things do take time to come together. There are so many points of interest - fabrics - quilting texture. I'm sure your daughter will love to snuggle under it and Meeka on top of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So amazing - and glad to see it finally finished. Well worth all the effort. When you say denim on the back - do you mean actual denim or just the colour?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the finish, the quilt is beautiful. Your daughter will be so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bet Meeka will make herself at home on this beautiful quilt! I love the translucency of sea glass after all the time in the oceans and you have conveyed this wonderfully in your daughter's quilt. Congratulation on your finish.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.