Wednesday 22 August 2018

Something New






Now that I have finished my Solstice Dream and Seaglass Sampler quilt, I was needing something to keep my hands occupied at night. (Housework doesn't count)   I had a canvas work pattern that my sister had given me a couple of years ago, so decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to pull it out and work on it.

Of course I had none of the equipment or threads it needed, so had a special trip into my favourite craft store - Ribbon Rose to purchase them.  A couple of threads weren't available, so these have been substituted.

The pattern itself is called Catch a  Falling Star and is a design from Nancy's Needle.  Most of her patterns are based on quilts, there are some beautiful designs available.

Stitching the design itself is quite easy, the only difficulty I found was in the beginning and trying to count the threads and spaces on the canvas, they are tiny. Since then, I have done a decent sized block, and it is a lot easier to work out where things fit.  I suspect at some point, I will need to invest in a magnifying lamp for my hand work.  The finished piece will end up at just over 7"square.

I am really enjoying doing this, while I think about my next project or two.

10 comments:

  1. I like this - this I could do :) I can't keep track of the little x's for cross stitch but with longer lines I think I could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work and colors, Julie.
    Great project for the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely canvas work Julie, this is something I enjoy now and again between quilting projects. I framed two of mine and gave one each to my grand-daughters to hang on their bedroom walls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely Julie! You find the best projects! I wish I didn’t have a long list of handwork to do! Is it going to finish at 7” or 7’??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, terrible proof reading of mine - edited now to 7".

      Delete
  5. Your sea glass quilt is just gorgeous as is your falling star! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg, so nice to actually finish some wips.

      Delete
  6. Lovely project! Your work is so neat, I don’t know how you make it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.