Thursday 4 April 2019

Finished - Carolina Chain Quilt










After I finished my making my Highlands Wrap Dress, I set myself a goal to completely finish this quilt before we went on holiday, and before I was allowed to start any other sewing project.  This meant, making a scrappy backing, frankensteining some batting, basting, quilting and attaching the binding.

Well, with a couple of solid stretches at the machine, and a night home alone, I did it.  I pieced the backing from some vintage sheets and a little bit of quilting  fabric.  Batting is a wool polyester blend.

I had forgotten how hard it is to actually machine quilt,  (I'm used to lightweight garment sewing)  my shoulders really felt the effort it took to manoeuvre it through my machine.  Basically it is a giant crosshatch design, quilted through the dark and low volume diagonals.  Admittedly my walking foot was not working properly and was more of a limping foot, so my quilting is possibly not up to my usual standard.

I bound it with a beautiful bright Kaffe Fassett fabric and then proceeded to hand tie it in the intersections where I didn't machine quilt it, using an amethyst toned variegated thread.

I am so pleased to have this knocked off my"WIP to do list", this has now been folded up ready to gift to my local hospice.


9 comments:

  1. A lovely quilt Julie! The Kaffe stripe is perfect for the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how this turned out. The plain border just gives the design a bit of calm space, then the colours are all reinforced by the fun binding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful, Julie! I like the backing too, well done :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilt . So bright, gorgeous colours . The binding is a perfect choice. K

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only just saw the pretty pink binding here on my laptop, what i couldn;t see on my phone. Lovely quilt Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilt and a new pattern to me. Thank you for showing me a great way to use up scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. Your first post on it prompted me to start cutting pieces for my own!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice finish!
    I like the ties and binding, their color bring it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt, well done on the finish.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.