Monday 5 April 2021

Things Here Lately











I'm currently enjoying the last night of a peaceful Easter Weekend home alone.  I've done some housework, pottered in the garden,  caught up with a couple of friends and generally made the most of having no schedule to keep or anyone else to look after.  
  • Autumn is definitely making her presence felt, my dahlias are pretty much finished, though my zinnias and cosmos are still flowering well.  I decided to make a big beautiful bouquet to brighten up my house this weekend, featuring the last of my dahlias, lime green iresine leaves, cosmos and zinnia.  After a few years of trial and error in my garden, it's nice to have plants that can survive a hot summer, little watering thus enabling me to finally have a picking garden.
  • Another Autumn blessing is that my feijoa trees finally start dropping their fruit.  I love eating them raw or mixed with apple in a fruit crumble.  However I recently saved a recipe for Topsy Turvy Feijoa Cake, and made it today. Perfectly delicious.
  • I had a sewing day last weekend with friends. I started making a new shirt which I finished off slowly over the following week.  It is the Seychelles Top from Itch to Stitch.  I made the long sleeve version, size 4B in a lovely rayon from Spotlight.  I'm really pleased with how it has turned out, especially as it was my first time doing a V neckline.  So pleased in fact, I started another one today.  Miss B,my usual photographer was away, so I had fun using the self timer function on my phone for these photos.
  • I came across a new word the other day.  Tsundoku - a Japanese word for the acquisition of books and keeping them  in a pile while never reading them, it can also refer to a pile of books.  Now I know I am guilty of having piles of books in my house,  (that's an occupational hazard when one works in a library), but generally they are all read. These four books have kept me entertained and educated over the past month.  All are historical fiction, except for Banks which is a biography on Joseph Banks the renowned botanist.  I have enjoyed them all and recommend any of them if you are looking for an interesting read.
Wishing you all wonderful week ahead.










6 comments:

  1. I don't think I ever heard you mention you work in a library - my daughter does too and we have had generations of women being librarians - reading is a passion for many of us in the family and I will check on the two of your list as I have read the other two. Love your flowers and you shirt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden offering and shirt are both lovely Julie. I am always interested in hearing about what you have been reading. I’ve only tried one Kristin Hannah book before but couldn’t finish it yet I know she is very popular. Maybe it is time to try another? You certainly are a voracious reader!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new shirt. How lovely to create such a pretty vase of flowers using the last ones in your garden. I’m off to look at our library’s catalogue online to see if I can request any of the titles you featured on your blogpost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to say that I LOVE feijoas. Never heard of them until we spent lots of time in NZ over the past 20 years. I so enjoyed them in fruit salads and, like you, in crumbles. Never made a cake though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bouquet is beautiful, I love the colour. I'm one of those who do not like feijoas, love the scent of them but I just don't like the taste, however I have to say your upside down cake looks delicious. Nice top Julie and as we're now in Autumn I think the long sleeves are a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristin Hannah has become a favorite of mine.
    I LOVE your bouquet. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.