Tuesday 23 March 2021

Fantail Shirt




The Fantail Shirt from New Zealand pattern company, The Sewing Revival has been on my want to make list for a while.  I had planned on making it on a sewing day away, however a cancelled weekend away hiking left me with spare time so I decided to start making it.

I decided to use an animal print rayon from my stash, and made the size 10.  Overall it is an easy pattern, the curved hem is finished with bias binding, and the front band as an elastic insert which gives a nice gathered finish to the centre front. I like the longer shirt tail at the back, am a little disappointed that the elasticated cuffs don't show as much gathering, but, I guess you don't want them to be too tight, and am thinking I should possibly size down for my next version. 

I'm not too sure if I feel a little frumpy in this or if it just the fabric I've used or how I've styled it.  I definitely think it looks better with the cropped jeans and could be a versatile trans-seasonal piece and something I can wear layered over a merino top  with skinny jeans and boots winter too.





3 comments:

  1. I like this on you! You could probably size it down as I believe you wear your clothes a bit more fitted but it does suit you, and looks quite stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it looks frumpy, but definitely the skinny jeans is a better look! I'd probably go down a size too! You are so lovely and thin, you need to show that off and take advantage of it! Happy sewing. Sorry you weren't able to get away...maybe soon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this up too but wasn't happy with the result either. I felt frumpy too. I think the gathering poofed out too much in an area that doesn't need poofing, I sent mine off to the second hand shop

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.