Wednesday 4 February 2015

Wednesday WIP





Early last year inspired by this beautiful quilt, I started piecing blocks for my Jacob's Ladder Quilt. After completing the 16 x 12" blocks, I  put it away,  Why, I don't know.  I think perhaps I was to scared to assemble them properly, in case none of my seams or points met properly.  Last week I pulled this project out again,  I want to start some new projects, but have decided I need to finish some WIPs first.

This weekend just gone, after hours spent kneeling on the floor (I really need as design wall), I finally settled on a layout that both The Scout and I liked.  A couple of hours pinning, sewing and pressing over the last couple of days and voila, we have the beginnings of a quilt top.

I have added the first part of the border with the charcoal strip.  Now I  just have to decide whether to do a scrappy border ( which means cutting another 100 or so 2.5" squares) like the quilt that inspired me, or do I cheat and take the lazy option using the pale foggy grey and a partial scrappy border, pictured above, before adding the last charcoal strip.  Then maybe a scrappy binding using the Denyse Schmidt fabrics from her Florence range,  Decisions, decisions decisions.

Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

13 comments:

  1. Julie I bet you are pleased you pulled the blocks out of the cupboard! This quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors are extraordinary!! And the pattern is perfect! Such a vibrant and modern piece.....I love everything about it!!! Great work!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Jacob's Ladder quilt is looking great! I had a little peep at your inspiration... I feel the scrappy border in amongst the two white borders not only extends the colour play smoothly all around the whole quilt, but somehow adds a 'fullstop' too? I don't know, I guess it comes down to whether you have enough fabric, or maybe just want to get on with quilting it now! H-m-m- as you say.. decisions, decisions! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is looking so good, I bet you are glad now that you pulled it back out of the cupboard. It is beautiful, I love the fabrics and the charcoal border.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is beautiful!!! I am sure that whatever you decide for the border it will compliment the quilt perfectly! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilt! I'm sure whichever you choose for the border will be great. REally love the colors in this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The charcoal and grey background really makes this amazing! I love that navy script print!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you decide to add a scrappy border, it will enhance the four-patch and sixteen-patch blocks. If you decide NOT to do the scrappy border It will accentuate the diagonal feel of the charcoal. See? I have given you a rationalization for whatever choice you make for the border. Actually you do not need any rationalization. You instincts will tell you what you like better. Excellent choice on the charcoal by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! I would vote for the partial scrappy as its something you don't see very often/ever. Either way, I'm sure it will look great ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. are your solids chambrays? They look so soft and buttery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Julie! I love the grey background.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's beautiful Julie! I love the dark grey against the pops of colour

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.