This quilt has been a while in the making. But this year, has been the year of finishing those WIPs, that have been languishing in their boxes and bags. As mentioned in earlier posts, once I sewed the blocks together (and I was amazed at how little time that took) I was inspired to get the backing and start quilting.
For the backing fabric I have used Forest Floor from the Wildwood range, I was really pleased at how well, I got the pattern repeat joined too. An advantage of using a patterned backing over a solid fabric I have discovered, is that it is easier to hide the odd little wrinkle too.
I can't do FMQ, only variations on straight lines, so quilting this stumped me for a while. In the end I decided to outline stitch most of the large scrappy squares and solids surrounding them. I used two shades of grey to match the solid shot cottons (figuring that it would camouflage any really wonky stitching). I may still go back and quilt do extra quilting in the really large scrappy blocks and some of the four patches too.
Binding is a blue floral from V & Co's Simply Style range. This was not done without drama either. It wasn't until I was folding it over ready to clip for hand stitching down that I realised I had sewn it onto the wrong side. Talk about being brain dead. I definitely wasn't going to unpick it all, especially as the shot cotton frays so easily, so the hand stitching is now on the front of the quilt. Luckily my stitching is always very tidy and discreet. (Thanks Mum, for making me redo the very first hem I ever sewed - I think I learned that lesson really well). As a bonus, I think these are the best mitred corners I have ever done on a quilt.
Details: Grey solids: shot cottons from Spotlight
Scrappy blocks - mainly Denyse Schmidt, Bonnie & Camille, V& Co and various others
Finished Size: approximately 64" square
2.5" squares: 424
HST 64 trimmed to 4.5"
I love how this has turned out, and now only wish it was a little bigger.
So there you have it - my second quilt finish for 2015.