Thursday 27 December 2018

Palisade Shorts




 





When Papercut Patterns released their new collection in November, I fell in love with the trouser/short pattern - called Palisade Pants.  I loved the pocket detailing,and topstitching and the fact that it had an elastic waist and a faux fly.  No zipper - woohoo.  I bought the PDF pattern and fabric and they sat there waiting till I had time to work on them.

Just before Christmas I started sewing them, they were a relatively easy make, and Papercut Patterns instructions are very good, with diagrams as well as text.
The fabric is a linen/cotton blend, and I loved sewing with it. For the pocket lining, I used a pretty liberty fabric, I thought my shorts fabric was perhaps a little heavier than mid weight, so I did this to add a little less bulk and weight to the sides of the shorts.

Based on my measurements I was a combined S for waist and XS for hips, so I decided to make the S.   The whole way through, I was worried they were going to be to small for me. They are perhaps a little shorter than I wanted, so I did a Liberty bias binding hem (unfortunately not the same as the pocket lining) so as not to not lose too much more length.  Lesson learned -  next time I know to make them a little longer.  I could also have probably tightened the elastic a little more in the back waistband, however they are a supremely comfortable, even if the high waist takes a little getting used to after years of wearing clothes that sit on or near the hip.

I will definitely make myself another couple of pairs, maybe in a slightly lighter weight fabric, and I'm also going to invest in some Liberty with matching bias binding for future pairs too.  Now all I need is a  little more of tan so I don't blind the population with the glare coming off these legs.







5 comments:

  1. Great job Julie! The pocket detail is a really interesting feature! I look forward to seeing your next pair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever sewing with those nifty pockets! I haven't made clothes since I was at high school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are very elegant Julie. With a more casual fabric I think they are an ideal length, but with such a classic fabric, I can see how a bit of extra length would suit them better. Do you have enough fabric to add a deep band/cuff?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice! Those pockets a so stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shorts Julie and love the neat pocket!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.