Monday 15 July 2019

A Needle Roll in Progress



Image from Inspiration Studios



Two years ago I bought a beautiful Inspirations magazine, completely swayed by the gorgeous Sue Spargo project on it's cover.  When I visited my sister in Brisbane that year, we both bought felt and ribbons to make our own versions of the featured needle roll.  Fast forward to this year and I have finally made a start.

A grey wet day in my sewing room,  saw me pulling out felt, fabrics and ribbons, deciding what I was going to use for embellishing the needle roll, cutting out all the pieces and finally making a start.  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed wool felt applique and the subsequent embroidery it requires.

I am changing my cover design slightly, my eyes can't handle stitching 1cm hexies together, and using different fabrics and trims from the original to make it my own taste.  It's going to be bright though.

Hopefully I get a chance to work on this in the evenings and get it finished this week.

5 comments:

  1. Love your stitches, so pretty! And the ric rac colours are lovely too, will you use them anywhere else apart from the stems?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty Julie, are they pieces left over from your bird dance quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! Your colors are exciting and your needle work projects turn out beautiful.
    Sue Spargo has amazing patterns doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a terrific start. I think this style of design is very open to interpretation, no right or wrongs. I have a black felt pincushion which is insanely dusty... I'll be interested in knowing whether your project stays clean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be fun and beautiful when finished.

    I am having a down day. I have 5 deer fly bites on my leg that I ended up having an allergic reaction too. They swelled to be very large, hurt my leg while I walk and itch like crazy!
    I have to ice, soak, ice and soak to get the poison out. Goodness! What a crazy week. At the same time Atticus had an accident at work. His finger got caught in some boat anchors. He chipped a bone on the one finger. He is doing well, thank goodness. All should heal fine according to the doctor.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.