Thursday 25 July 2019

Things Here Lately









  • I've started another wool felt applique project, mainly to see how felt and embroidery applique works on a fabric background rather than a felt background.  Very much inspired by the colours I used in my needle book and the fabric I found in my stash for the vase, this will be a cushion based on The Still Life pillow in Wendy Williams book,Wild Blooms and Colourful Creatures.
  • Speaking of books, all three above have been read and thoroughly enjoyed. Nora Roberts' novel, Under Currents,, tackles the gritty subject of domestic abuse.   Daisy Jones and the Six,  is set in the late 70's about a rock band, written in an interview format with each band member answering questions the story is told.  Very much the sex, drugs and rock n roll era,  I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this novel.  The Strawberry Thief is the final book in the series that started with Chocolat.
  • Even though it is winter in New Zealand, the hibiscus shrubs in my neighbourhood still flower.  This one caught my eye on a particularly foggy morning walk.
  • I took myself into Newmarket this morning, this is an upmarket suburb of Auckland, so very interesting  for people watching, and it has beautiful shops to browse and dream in. I could have spent a lot of money on some beautiful dresses for summer.  Ostensibly I went in to purchase a little bit of fabric from Centrepoint Fabrics  in the last days of their closing down sale, of course I had to stop at a nice cafe for sustenance. 
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend.

7 comments:

  1. I love that book by Wendy Williams. I have read the Nora Roberts books but not the others I will look at them and see if I would want to read them. sounds like a nice area for a coffee and people watch that you found - it is always nice to find those places

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new wool applique project!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your project is pure eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of the print fabric you purchased Julie. What will you make with it, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh I love your wool embroidery. I have just started stitching some dyed wool blanket applique to a patterned cotton. I am not impressed with how it looks at all but I think I will take a photo to remember it, figure out why I don't like it, unpick and start again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to see blooming things even in a winter season....not a chance of that happening here! What a nice outing and I just viewed all the eye candy in your gallery. Very inspiring to me. I wonder what threads you are using there for the wool appliqué. Happy Stitching from me in Canada where it is hot right now In the midst of summer.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.