Wednesday 21 August 2019

Things Here Lately












  • Recently I have been very inspired by the prolific and very beautiful dahlia posts from https://www.instagram.com/littleislandquilting. So much so, that I have completely cleared a smallish garden by my driveway and started the maybe addictive and hopefully bountiful purchase of about a dozen different dahlia tubers.  This beautiful book from the library is also making me want to plant more.  I purchased tubers from NZ Bulbs and Bulbs Direct., and am now waiting for the garden to warm up a little and dry out before planting them.  Fingers crossed for lots flowers this summer. Watch this space!

  • The Scout and I went away for a weekend sans children.  We stayed at Matakana in an Airbnb property, Matakana Fantail Retreat, a tiny house, which overlooked a lovely native bush setting.Yes there were lots of little fantails flitting and chittering among the trees. We visited the Farmers Market, had lunch at our favourite pub/cafĂ© and walked on the beach at Omaha.

  • I have some beautiful fabric sitting in my sewing room intended for garments, unfortunately I can not motivate myself to cut out the patterns (my least favourite part of sewing), and I think my machine has to go back to the service centre, it is still squeaking when I sew and drives me mad. So I have been pulling out some old wips lately with the intention of finishing them,  Currently I am working on my Ice Cream Soda epp blocks,which I have worked out I haven't touched since January 2018. I think I only have to make about 20 more blocks before I can start joining them.

  • Wet winter weather always means lots of reading, gardening books, cook books and craft books, some,old favourites and new finds for inspiration, and two recent good reads from the fiction pile.
What are you reading and creating at present?

7 comments:

  1. You must finish those Ice Cream Soda blocks, Julie! They're gorgeous! Have you every read anything by Susan Meissner. I have been captivated by the three I have read and listened to over the last couple of months! I now borrow all mine from the library and read them on my iPad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reading ideas. Squeaking in a machine is often just a bit that needs cleaning and oiling. If your machine is out of warranty, it is often something you can do yourself and save the aggravation and money. Email me if you are interested and I can send you a link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two more lovely ICS blocks, very pretty! Keep going! Were the bulbs very expensive? And do they take much care once planted? Lots of watering over summer I guess? (Yes, I too am enjoying Allison's feed at present with all her pretty homegrown flowers)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see you getting back into your icecream soda block, I always enjoyed your photo's of them. I look forward to seeing your dahlias.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful colour filled post! Dahlias - I checked out these sites about two weeks ago and as you rightly said in a reply to me, the tubers were selling quickly. The ones I would dearly have loved had all gone! I'm looking forward to seeing yours when the time comes, meanwhile I see you have plenty of reading in the great stack of books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the dahlias. They are very rewarding plants when they do well. Unfortunately I left all mine behind in my old garden. A good excuse to rebuild a collection I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy your Things Here Lately posts. Good luck with the dahlias, keep me posted on how they grow for you.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.