Tuesday 7 January 2020

Burda Style - a New Top






Last year sometime, I issued myself a pile of Burda Style magazines from Auckland Libraries.  I usually just look through them for the beautiful styling and photos, never intending to make anything, cos you have to trace the patterns, and add seam allowances - all things which fall into the too hard pile.

However issue 02/2018 had a top which intrigued me, so I photocopied the instructions and using a few sheets of lunch wrap, traced the pattern and then promptly lost it in my sewing room, only to find it a month or so later, make a rough toile from the old sheet, then ignore it.

Fast forward to a new year, and I decided I wanted to make a new summer top for me.  I debated using some of my rayon stash, but couldn't face cutting out a slippery slidey fabric, so I used an embroidered stripey gauze from the stash, and made a mix of both versions a and b. Omitting the gathered neckline from version a and the sleeve tabs and longer back from version b.

The pattern itself is relatively easy, though Burda instructions are a little on the light side.   I suspect my fabric while light weight was not quite the right choice for this, it doesn't have quite the drape and feels a little boxy and heavy around the hem.  I also had a problem with the back neck not fitting the shirt, I am not sure if I traced the wrong size, but I was easily able to rectify it by taking a large seam down the middle which is hidden among the embroidery, and trimming it off,

Overall this shirt will be a useful wearable addition to my summer wardrobe, and I may make it again'with the gathered neckline I feel in love with originally.

Pattern details:  Burda 108-2/2018
Fabric:  embroidered gauze
Size: 38

**Photos by Mr J - iphone6

3 comments:

  1. Lovely top Julie, I used a lot of Burda patterns many years ago and always loved the fit of the finished garment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing style and this top looks lovely on you :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.