Monday 7 September 2020

Lockdown Learnings

 

I have plans!


Santa Claus decoration - pattern from here

Black Bean Chocolate Brownies

While I haven't enjoyed being in lockdown again, there are somethings I have learned from both of them.

  • Little treats - life's little luxuries help make it seem not so depressing. Scented candles, magazines (luckily I have some subscriptions that turn up monthly in the post) yummy homebaked treats, fresh flowers.
  • Exercise - daily walks help, I can see other people, say "hi, how are" from a socially appropriate distance, get fresh air and exercise which is good for the mind and body.
  • Books - I need to read. I have learned that I should always have a pile of library books on hand.  While e-books are convenient (and at least life saving when one has no books), I enjoy the physical act of holding a book, turning the pages and immersing myself in another world.  Phones or e-readers are not the same.
  • Sewing - my interests are important.  I am so glad that I create, craft, sew.  My creating has given me a way to keep sane and having time out in the sewing room gives me a break from the family, as well as meaning that I can make numerous masks to keep friends and family safe. I have a good sized quilting and clothing fabric stash, I just need to make sure I have matching threads, buttons and patterns printed. It also gives me time to start and finish (Santa Claus decoration) some small projects I have been putting on hold.
  • Gardening - when you are outside gardening, one cannot worry. Fresh air, exercise, sunshine if you're lucky, hearing the birds, smelling freshly cut lawn or newly turned soil - all contribute to a somewhat relaxing experience, though my muscles may dispute that the next day.
So while I am glad to be back at work, talking to real people (albeit wearing masks), I do miss aspects of the lazier days of lockdown.   Fingers crossed we don't have to again though.

Stay safe, wear a mask. Kia kaha.

4 comments:

  1. You have a great outlook Julie! I can relate to all of those except the gardening. Living where I do, I miss the opportunity to get my hands dirty in the moist rich soil! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Santa decoration and the brownies look divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are retired and live on a 150 acre mountain now. That is kind of like a life long lock down. All of the things you list are how we fill our days now. I do miss going out to eat now and then. We are 1 hour drive from the nearest town and don't really know the local places there yet. But it's all good. We are safe. (except worry for the wildfires that plague California.)
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do have a great outlook, and you have learned a great deal about taking care of yourself. The brownies and the Santa look so good.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.