Friday 18 September 2020

The Mallard Coat Jacket




Collar Up


So, I've made myself a new jacket.  I'm beginning to wonder if I have a slight addiction to them.

This one is the jacket length version of the Mallard Coat,  a pattern from  New Zealand company The Sewing Revival.  Initially I had seen the pattern, thought that the coat was nice and not worried about the jacket.  However that changed when I saw a version made in this exact fabric, and I decided I needed my own.  (They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery)  After finding out  from the maker that Spotlight stocked the fabric, which is a cotton canvas from the upholstery department, I duly purchased it and lining and  downloaded the pattern.

Assembling the pattern was nice and easy, and I actually enjoyed cutting out the fabric, it was nice to have a heavier weight one to sew after the light rayons I've sewn lately. I found I did need quite sharp pins though.

The pattern itself was a pretty easy sew, it's fully lined too, in a lovely fuschia bemsilk also from Spotlight.
Instructions were detailed, with good diagrams also.  I made a straight size 10 and opted for the square collar which can be worn standing  up or folded down.  It is meant to fasten with domes or buttons, but I think I am going to leave these off.  I also omitted the large front pockets, which I would sew on the coat version.  I didn't worry about pattern matching as such, but made sure that the bottom hems were aligned when I cut out the pieces,  so it is a random placement of the floral print.  I also decided to topstitch the collar and front edges of the jacket also, to get a neater finish on the seams edges.

Photos today were taken by Miss B at Nathan Homestead, a heritage building which is used as an arts and events centre not too far from where I live. There are some lovely old trees and gardens, to walk around. It was just start to drizzle and the wind really picked up so we were limited to where we could get sheltered photos.  Luckily there is a nice little cafe  there, that we could revive ourselves in.

I'm really looking forward to wearing this, I think it will be a great layering piece for warmer spring and cooler summer days.  In fact all year round if I layer under it properly.

Happy weekending !





3 comments:

  1. Nice jacket! Great photography too. That long strip of white/grey( Dusty Miller? ) looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I like it. The photos are fantastic. And you look amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.