Monday 14 December 2020

A Trio of Repeats and some good reads

 









I've been doing a little sewing lately, no new and exciting patterns, but repeats of some favourites.

First up was another Eva Dress.  I have been wanting a long black linen dress for summer for a while now, and though I contemplated lots of other patterns I kept coming back to the Eva Dress, I decided it was meant to be when I found the most beautifully soft Turkish linen and they had just the right amount needed left on the bolt.  I am absolutely delighted with how it turned out and cannot wait to wear it.

When I purchased the black linen I also bought a linen/tencel type fabric in a dark taupe colour.  It had the most beautiful drape and I knew immediately that it would be turned into another pair of the button pleated Burda Culottes I made here.  

The hot pink Mallard jacket I made here, has been worn a lot, I get so many compliments wearing it too.  I decided I needed another pretty jacket which fortuitously and unintentionally ended up coordinating beautifully with my new culottes.  Fabric is again an upholstery cotton canvas I got from Spotlight.  I took my time laying out pattern pieces to make the most of the beautiful designs on this fabric, and lined it with a dusky rose bemberg. The one positive of the slightly cooler summer temperatures we are currently experiencing, means that I get to enjoy wearing this for a little longer .

And when I'm not sewing, I've been reading.  So far I've read:
  • Tiny Pieces of Us by Nicky Pellegrino, the story of a group of organ transplant recipients and what happens when they meet.
  • Mrs Boots by Deborah Carr, the story of Florence of the Boots the Chemist empire.
  • The Awakening by Nora Roberts.  This is the first in a new fantasy trilogy from one of my favourite authors.  Set in modern day Philadelphia and Ireland, as well as an old magical land accessed through a portal.  It's a typical Nora Roberts read with strong female characters and a good story line.
And to finish off on a bright and happy note - the dahlias are flowering.


1 comment:

  1. Oh Julie! I adore your floral jacket - just beautiful !!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.