Earlier this week, while aimlessly browsing Instagram, I happened to come across a photo of an office chair, with a quilted seat cover. This immediately struck a chord with me, I couldn't believe I had never thought to do that to my perfectly functional but plain sewing chair. That afternoon, I pulled out my bag of Anna Maria Horner scraps ( I had a lot) and randomly started piecing strips, and squares together. For a little bit of variety, I also added some Amy Butler and Tula Pink scraps. All the fabrics are bright vibrant colours with bold designs and meld together perfectly into what I call a hot mess.
I ended up with two large scrappy quilt blocks, which I quilted with an organic (not perfectly even) diagonal cross hatch. Batting and backing fabrics were all from my stash.
I rounded the corners on the seat cover, than added a casing for elastic to be pulled through. I was so pleased with how this cover turned out. The chair back took a lot more work, a little cursing and a bit of unpicking, till I got the shape and fit right. Again I added a casing for the elastic to pull the base of the back in. Both seat cover and the back piece are fully removeable, though I don't think I ever want to take them off my chair now.
In a way it was mindless easy sewing, I certainly didn't need to be as precise with my sewing as I have needed to be with the clothes I've made lately, and I didn't really worry about what fabrics or colours were used where.
I am delighted with how it has turned out, and at how cheerful it looks, and am looking forward to more lockdown sewing in my sewing room.