Tuesday 10 May 2016

Making for Me




Back in my twenties, I used to make a lot of my own clothing.  I had no fear of complicated techniques ( except zips -  I  didn't make anything with zips) and would make all sorts of dresses, shirts and skirts.  However life sometimes gets in the way of hobbies, so for a while I stopped sewing.  A few years ago, I discovered quilting,  and as much as I enjoy that, I have been wanting to make some clothing for myself for a while now.  Recently while visiting a friend, I fell in love with the Barcelona Skirt she had made and subsequently bought the pattern and eventually some fabric for it.  Over the past few days I have created it.

The A line skirt was the option I made.   I always find working out what size to make difficult, (my measurements are a mix) I ended up making the medium and it fits exactly how I wanted it too.  It was the first time I have ever put an invisible zip in.  Unfortunately I didn't see any other colour but white on the day I was buying it, how I missed the cream ones I don't know,  and while it is not perfect, I figure mostly it will be covered up.  Lining a garment was also a first for me,

The fabric I used is Tropic Canna from Amy Butler's Bright Heart Collection, and I have lined it with Bemberg - which is a satiny static free fabric, and the lady in Spotlight assured me I wouldn't have to iron it as I would a cotton lining.

I am really pleased with how this has turned out, the pattern instructions are really clear and detailed, and it could easily be made in a few hours, if one didn't have any interruptions. I see more of these skirts in my future, perhaps in a slightly heavier weight fabric for winter. Now I am pinning patterns and tutorials for future clothing makes for me.


7 comments:

  1. Good for you, it certainly looks very professional and I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. It looks lovely on you.
    It is ages and ages since I sewed anything for myself, altho like you I grew up making my own clothes.
    Nothing succeeds like success so I await your next creation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your skirt looks fantastic Julie! I love making skirts too! My sister has just bought some pinwale cord for me to make her a skirt (something for the upcoming school holidays, I expect!). Maybe Spotlight was where she bought hers? And I am interested in trying out the Bemberg for lining. In the past I had used Bemsilk, which definitely needs ironing and is quite slippery to sew! I look forward to seeing your next garment...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am planning on making this at a retreat and had forgotten about the zip and lining, but luckily I will be going to Joann's on my way LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your skirt is lovely and I love the fabric too! Enjoy wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely skirt... those Amy B fabrics are so versatile aren't they?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.