Ever since I saw a picture of this Sorbetto top. I have wanted to make myself one. So after the success of my Barcelona skirt, I went back to Spotlight to find a suitable fabric. I looked at various cotton lawns but ended up choosing a textured chambray voile.
The pattern is a free pattern from Colette Patterns , which I downloaded and printed out, then spent a wee while matching and taping all the pieces together. Based on my not so large bust measurements, I ended up making size 2 for myself. My darts and the front pleat turned out really well. I contemplated doing a contrasting binding but in the end made continuous bias binding to match the top. I figured any wonky stitching wouldn't be so obvious this way. Rather than risk messing up the top stitching, of the binding, I hand sewed it down. I have decided that if there is more binding for dressmaking in my future I am going to invest in a bias tape maker.
I made the pattern longer than what was recommended for my size, however, I think that next time I make a Sorbetto top, I will probably make it a little longer again and maybe make the armholes a little lower too. This is a really easy pattern, that could be made up quickly if you had pre-made bias tape on hand and you weren't handstitching anything. I have an idea, that one made from some of Anna Maria Horner's, Loominous fabrics with the pleat inverted like my inspiration picture would be pretty fabulous.