Monday 12 November 2018

A Surprise Garden Ramble


Last week I celebrated a birthday.  I was starting to feel a little peevish with my husband, because he hadn't given me a gift.  Imagine my surprise and delight when I arrived home from work on Saturday afternoon, to see my Mum sitting on the sofa, while my husband gave me my gift, which was tickets for us to take part in the Franklin Hospice Garden Ramble the following day.

Sunday dawned, warm but drizzly (mum brings wet weather with her, any Australians needing rain should get her to visit them), we donned raincoats, walking shoes and carried umbrellas, and had a lovely day visiting large scale country gardens.  I think we managed to visit 11 of the 18 that were open.

The following are some of the gardens, vistas, plants and plantings that caught my eye.








 



 




Meanwhile, I've got a trailer of mulch to spread on my gardens, so that will stop me from thinking I need a house in the country with wonderful views, and perhaps a gardener to help me maintain my dream garden.

12 comments:

  1. Some lovely gardens, large scale & very country! I remember feeling the same when I went on a long garden ramble around the Bethlehem, Papamoa area and another one all around Greenhithe... garden envy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what lovely gardens! I love that swing decorated with flowers and I bet you and your mom had a lovely time catching up on things in the process of seeing the gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated Birthday wishes, Julie!! It sounds like you had an enjoyable day on the ramble...beautiful photos. Sigh, large country gardens are all very good in theorey (she says, looking out the window at her neglected beds!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, happy birthday and what a fun birthday treat!
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos.
    The water lilies and the rose/white campion are some of my favorites.
    The gardens remind me of quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way to spend a day, belated birthday wishes Julie, have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday from me too. Thanks for sharing the gardens, it must have been a beautiful day despite the rain. Is your Mother available for hire??? 😆😆😆

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! Some amazing gardens, I bet you came home bursting with inspiration. The same day I was on a Hospice House Tour at Matakana & Leigh, but we were not allowed to take any photo's sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard you can't do that on house tours. Such a shame,but understandable.

      Delete
  8. Stunningly beautiful garden tour, than you for sharing the views!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glorious post Julie, and a super surprise birthday gift. An added bonus to looking at these wonderful photos - not a weed in sight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forget to add late birthday wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belated Birthday wishes! Thanks for sharing the beautiful photo’s!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.