Friday 18 October 2019

Peppermint Wrap Top







Over the past few years, Peppermint Magazine have provided a free pattern from In The Folds.  The last pattern was a wrap top designed for woven fabrics.  I'm a sucker for a wrap top, so I downloaded the pattern, found some pretty lilac Italian cotton shirting at The Fabric Store and made it up during a week off work.

This top was the first garment I have ever made with french seams, and creates such a tidy finish.  I was slightly worried about trimming the initial seam down, but they have all turned out really well. In the Folds pattern instructions are very clear and detailed, probably the only area I had problems was easing the sleeves into the armscyes, and that is through my lack of technique rather than the instructions.  I don't think anyone will really notice a couple of tiny gathers there though.

Based on my measurements I made size D without any alterations,  Should I make it again I would like to lengthen it by a few centimetres, it is a little too cropped for my comfort levels, however it will work well with higher waistshorts or trousers and I would probably shorten the ties also.  There was a lot of pressing and stitching to do on on the full hem length of those. I also wondering about grading to a size C through the bodice sides, this quite a quite a roomy top.

Overall I love how it has turned out, I love the colour and how silky smooth the fabric is and my beautiful finishing inside the top.  Now I  just need warmer weather so I can enjoy wearing it.

5 comments:

  1. This is a lovely top! Very flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that pattern in Peppermint and thought it would be a lovely top. It looks great! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really lovely, Julie!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fab! Can you get away with wearing a long sleeved top underneath? How does the wrap behave... did you need to dome the neckline?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fun Julie. And you look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.