Monday 30 March 2020

Staying Home - Week 1











While New Zealand is officially on Day 5 of the 4 week lockdown, I have been at home now for seven days.

I walk most days, and to be honest I don't think I have ever seen as many people out walking in my neighbourhood before.  We all give each other at least 2 metres space when walking past each other, call out hello or give each other a friendly wave.  I walk between 3-5 km a day, depending on how much time I want away from my family, and am very lucky my view includes some sea views.

Generally I enjoy being home and pottering around, doing a bit of gardening, cooking or sewing, all the while knowing if I need to pop to the supermarket, craft store or mall I can.  Suddenly knowing I can't is hard.  Point in question.  I've run out of cotton to match the shirt I'm sewing, so I can't make button holes.  Do I make them anyway using another navy thread or if I was really brave something totally contrasting, or do I leave it unfinished until life returns to normal? At this point I'm leaving it and will start another project from the pattern and fabric stash.

Evenings are spent inside reading or hand sewing.  I have completed and joined another row onto my ice cream soda quilt. last night the family discovered the Sherlock Holmes series on TVNZ on Demand.  We all thoroughly enjoyed the first episode, so think this will be a family event each night till we finish series 4.

Stay Home, Stay Safe, Save Lives!
Kia Kaha


11 comments:

  1. I have a navy & white fitted voile shirt with red button holes, and I love the 'surprise' every time! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the positive inspiration.

      Delete
  2. exactly - knowing you can't just run out to the store to get a certain color thread all of a sudden makes it real. here too - I go walking around the property to get exercise or we had been driving to a park - now the bathrooms there are closed too if you are on a diuretic like my husband you need to stop and use them - we are now to stay home as much as possible through April but many people are not listening and still shopping with their whole family instead of taking turns one person only as suggested. If you are brave you could do another color thread - do you have a piece of your fabric you could try colors on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie. I hope everyone obeys the rules, because the sooner they do, the sooner this will be over! I wish our federal government showed the leadership your Prime Minister does. We get so many mixed messages. Thankfully, our Premier is more direct and proactive. I'd hold off on the buttonholes until you have the right colour thread. I guess you're not getting any mail deliveries either? So no online shopping? Stay safe, stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt looking good and bright. I would be adventurous and make bright red buttonholes.
    Stay safe bloggy friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard right now, we are on lockdown too. We go out only once a week to get our mail, pick up a few fresh items at the grocery or get take out food. I've created a list for myself to stay focused while at home, otherwise the time stretched out before me unable to do much is too depressing. I quit watching the news too, and now spend that half hour on the veranda breathing in fresh air. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie,
    Sam will be deployed Monday 4/6 to our Wisconsin state capitol city of Madison. He will be helping the police force. He will be doing communications. I will keep you updated.
    Atticus is still working part time at his job, "very part time" .. the store supplies to local farmers, so it is essential.
    My husband is working at this time at his office, with little contact from others.

    I am home .. home sweet home.. I enjoy being home just like you, but the same has happened to me regarding heading out. I really miss not being able to travel to see Sam.

    Stay well,
    Carla


    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely views on your walk. Is there a store who could mail a reel of thread to you? Our lqs all have mail order/internet ordering which is proving.....um.....dangerous?! Your quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a lovely spot to spend time walking, we all need the outdoors right at this moment, thank goodness for the nice weather. Ice Cream Soda is a lovely sight hanging on the fence, I guess I should say the rows already stitched hanging on the fence. You have plenty of time to finish up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quilt you are working on. And can you tell me the name of de dark blue fabric from the blouse. I love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the selvedge tells me is that it is a printed cotton voile. I got it from Spotlight in NZ if that helps.

      Delete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.