Saturday 4 April 2020

A Lockdown Challenge



I was browsing Instagram the other day when a post from Anna Maria Horner popped up showing her latest #amhappliquestory,  I was quite taken with the idea of creating something like this and suggested to Linda,  (check out her post on this here that perhaps we each do one as a little challenge whilst on national lockdown.

Browsing instagram for ideas, I also remembered being quite inspired by some fabulous textile art from @bearsville50, here and here.

I started to pull out my AMH stash, unfortunately most of my fabrics left aren't really suitable for largish fussy cutting now, so I went through the rest of my stash and played with some ideas, which gradually evolved until I was left with the arrangement in the photo at the top of this post.





My backing fabric has been prepared, threads have been selected, the blooms and foliage trimmed and starched ready to apply using the raw edge applique method.  Once this is done I can then embellish with fancy stitches, different coloured threads and seed beads.  I was originally thinking of making a pillow cover, but I feel that if it turns out, I may get it framed.

I have another row to finish attaching to my ice cream soda quilt, then I can have a little slow stitching session  and make a start on my lockdown blooms.


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful selection of florals for this challenge...what a fun idea...
    and nice threads for embroidery
    ~ ~ ~ waving from far away Julierose ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible looking! Love the leaves especially.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely fabulous! I want to drop everything and try to start my own challenge! Looking forward to to seeing yours finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fabric selections are fabulous Julie. I look forward to seeing how this changes with the stitching and beads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you have arranged your flower blossoms! Very nicelt balanced. Are you also good with arranging real flowers? (although they are tricky because they move!)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.