Thursday 16 April 2020

Staying Home - Week 3













Currently we have survived three weeks of New Zealand's national lockdown.   The teens and I have found this week hard, we are missing friends, routines, being able to go places and actual real people to talk to and work with.  Zoom meetings are not quite the same.

With one  week to go,  it's looking as though we will drop to Level 3 of the alert system.  This means that some students can return to school, though Miss B will be doing virtual university till at least July now. We're waiting to hear about high school for Mr J.  Some  hospitality type businesses will be allowed to operate, and we may be able to travel regionally.  Malls, movie theatres, libraries will still not be open to public, though it looks as though we should able to do more online shopping now.  Not sure if this is good or bad.

I have been compiling a little shopping list of essential to me items, should this happen again. It includes:  interfacing, sewing machine needles, thread to match all my garment fabrics, various widths of elastic, scented candles, hand creams and special teas. 

Over the past week I have been trying to keep relatively busy, walking, sewing and baking and successfully avoiding housework. 

  • another top using a beautifully silky viscose from the stash.  This is the same pattern I made last week, with a little elastic in the sleeve cuff.  I love how this one has turned out and have already enjoyed wearing it. Only one more animal print fabric remains in the stash now too.
  • Hot Cross Cookies - recipe from here.
  • Chocolate espresso pudding with whisky caramel sauce.  From personal tastes, I'd double the sauce quantity next time.  Recipe here.
  • I've prepped the fabric and assembled the pattern for the last top for my sister.  Hopefully sewing will commence on it this coming weekend.
  • my biggest happy moment was adding the last stitches whilst joinging the blossoms in my ice cream soda quilt.  All I have to do now is add the edging then the borders.  I am loving how it looks so far.
Hoping you are all well in your bubbles.
Stay home, stay safe.  Kia kaha.



10 comments:

  1. Your 'ice cream soda' quilt is amazing Julie! So much to look at, and such a lot of work! You must be very pleased. Yes, this past week has been tricky for me too, nothing major but just still so very unsettling. Fingers crossed we dropp to L3 next week, am desperate for yummy Thai takeaways... And more books... and online fabrics....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are not alone in your lockdown feelings, many people seem to be missing their old life.....on the bright side there will be new appreciation for some of the missed things! Icecream Soda.....what an exciting stage.....that there is a big bright light shinning at you from the end of the "ICECREAM SODA TUNNEL"

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely top and quilt. Mixed feelings about level 3 for schools - doubt if I'll be back then anyway and virtually 100% positive no students will turn up - barely any there at level 2 either! COuld become quite a nightmare I think for teachers and teaching. 5-6 year olds can't social distance! High school voluntary for years 9 and 10; above all at home I understand. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ice-cream soda quilt is truly amazing, such a work of art. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love all the shirts that you make so nice. I hope the 4 weeks lock down works for your country, you have many less cases then others - I wish our president was a more intelligent person for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ice cream Sosa quilt is amazing Julie! That has been a wonderful fabric journey- worth celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julie,
    We are hanging in there. Our furnace went out during a very cold April night. We woke to 15 degrees outside. Brrr... thankful the furnace repair guy was healthy and fixed the furnace without other problems.
    Take Care, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we're all waiting for Monday to find out where we go next, but I do wonder whether we will stay at Level 4 for a week or two longer. You've been keeping yourself busy during the past three weeks and almost at the finish line now with Ice Cream Soda. I like your idea of a shopping list of essentials, I think I might take this on board myself.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.