Friday 17 July 2020

Bonn Shirt - the one with long sleeves






Over the past couple of weeks I have been doing some slow sewing on another Bonn Shirt.   I made one a couple of months ago, see here in a size 4, and while I loved the look and fit of most of it, I felt it was a little tight across my back and around the armscye,  This time I made a size 6 and used a lovely soft lilac cotton shirting.

I had a few dramas with the collar, until I realised that I had cut the wrong size (lesson to self - always print patterns in colour or highlight where you need to cut).  Once I re-cut that piece correctly, everything else went really smoothly, including my first time making a continuous lap on the cuffs.  I love all the detailed instructions and diagrams that patterns from Itch to Stitch have.

Overall the shirt fits well, I think I prefer it in a print rather than a solid colour (or maybe it's just this colour) and am contemplating making a third one, perhaps in a slightly softer drapier fabric to get the perfect shirt.

PS:  I did iron it before we took the photos of me in it.

4 comments:

  1. While it is an unexpected colour for you I do like it! In Spring, it will look perfect. You have done a great job of all the details. Now that you are out of lockdown I guess shopping for buttons wasn’t a problem. I have all but finished my Whittaker pinafore, except for buttons and buttonholes! But I darent leave home at this stage with up numbers continuing to rise! So it’s back to quilt making for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colour of your new shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great Julie. A very professional finish and lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shirt Julie lou and also the first one you made. Your fabric choices for both are great!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.