Thursday 6 January 2022

New Year Thoughts and Happenings









Happy New Year!

Enjoy the beautiful dahlias currently flowering in my garden.

We're currently six days into 2022 already, and I've decided I'm not really setting myself a lot of new goals or challenges this year. I have increased my work hours and have come to the realisation that trying to achieve everything, while working and still being chief house cleaner, cook and gardener is not really a healthy option.  I need time for exercise - (walking, hiking, yoga) and the hobbies (reading, sewing, quilting) that bring me joy too.

  • I would like to finish my Groovy Hearts Quilt - it needs basting, quilting and binding.
  • Another project I would like to complete the flimsy of my Midnight in the Tulip Garden Medallion Quilt - I suspect it will not be as big as I had originally planned, but finished is better than sitting in a dark cupboard.
  • There will definitely be some sewing of clothes - I am thinking my big challenge here will be to make some tailored trousers suitable for work.
The day after New Years Day, The Scout and I went out to Huia on the West Coast of Auckland.  I have never been out here before, it very beautiful with wonderful beaches and sea views and native bush.  We did the Huia Dam walk from the Lower Huia Reservoir up to the Upper Huia Dam. The water looks rather revolting but apparently is is something to do with the dam being dug out of soil with a clay base. There are still a lot of tracks closed in the Waitakere Ranges due to the risk of kauri dieback disease spreading. All up it was about 8km return.

Hopefully I'll still manage to do a couple of blog posts per month, but I do post a lot more regularly on Instagram now - I can be found there under justjulielou.

2 comments:

  1. There is a limit on just what we can achieve in our daily life so totally understand what you're dealing with. I do read Instagram and catch your posts there and still keep in touch! Happy New Year Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool photos. I especially love your dahlias. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.