Sunday 13 May 2018

Coppelia Top






I am a sucker for a good wrap top, and there have been many versions in my wardrobe over the years.  So when I saw  the Coppelia Top by Papercut Patterns, I jumped in and bought the pattern.  It comes in two styles,  a cropped ballet wrap cardigan and a longer faux wrap with a waistband.  I opted for the latter version, I think I'm a bit old for cropped styles now.

It is a very easy and clear to follow pattern,  and sews up quickly.  Unfortunately,  I suspect my fabric choice, which even though it's a lightweight knit - a merino/spandex blend, may not have enough stretch for the pattern to work successfully.   The neck band seems quite loose, this is possibly where the extra stretch is required.   I also feel that this version is a wee bit short on me in both the arms and body, so would lengthen it by a couple of inches and/or make a deeper waist band when I attempt it again.

Since constructing the Coppelia top, I have spent some time online (quiet day at work) reading  other blogger's thoughts on this pattern, it seems I'm not the only one to have a gaping neckband (it sounds as though I really need to stretch the neckband out a lot when sewing it on) and I don't appear to have a problem with batwing sleeves like a lot of other bloggers have.

My Coppelia top is still definitely wearable, so I'll just keep it to wear as a light weight layer for my winter yoga classes, and hope that version two fits better. 





7 comments:

  1. I haven't made clothes in years and envy those that do - - by the way love your casual hair style - I wish my gray/white hair looked more like yours and until mine all turns one color (or mostly) I've been dying it but would rather not but don't like the way mine looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks nice.....versatile colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know the pattern at all but I suspect the band is too big - make it at least an inch shorter so it has to stretch more to fit the body. It's hard to cut bands out accurately when they are in knit fabric, maybe it bunched while you were doing so, or it is just drafted too big by the pattern designer. :-) Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your top looks great, wonderfjl colour and it will ne useful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your top looks really good Julie (and looks good on you too) - well done on another great addition to your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turned out nice, good for you!
    You're on a roll, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.