Friday 26 October 2018

Another Barcelona Skirt






Lying in bed one night, I had a thought that I needed a longish flowing chambray type skirt.  I could picture myself wafting around a farmers market in it, with the classic white shirt and wedge type shoes. Preferable in France or somewhere exotic.

So over the long weekend just gone, I made myself a skirt.  Using the Barcelona skirt pattern from Amy Butler Designs, I made the A-line version, and I lengthened the pattern by 2".   I have previously made this  pattern, but was never happy with how the skirt fell, which was probably due to using quilting fabric rather than a fabric intended for garments.  This version I made out of a chambray coloured tencel, which I found at Spotlight.  Added bonus it was also 40% off dressmaking fabrics too.  I had hoped that my lovely dressmaker neighbour would have an invisible zipper foot I could borrow, however she just uses a normal zipper foot, which is what I ended up doing too. So while it's not quite perfect, it definitely worked.

Because I didn't want to lose too much length when I hemmed it or make the hem to heavy with double folding it, I used the bias binding method to hem it.  I am really happy with how this turned out. Currently I feel that hemming has made it lose it's gentle flowiness (is that a word). but I think with a little wear and probably a couple ofwashes, the fabric will soften and have a nicer drape.

I'm thinking that it will be an easy piece to wear in summer. I love how it feels, tencel is such a soft fabric. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it has turned out, any issues are more to do with fit in certain places on me rather than the pattern.

**Photos by Mr J**

5 comments:

  1. it fits you nicely - I am not sure when I wore a skirt last! I am always in pants, I don't even have the right shoes for a skirt :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your skirt looks fantastic Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful finish, Julie.
    The hem turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely skirt. I can see it would have a gentle flow as you move, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely..
    how was your son's journey? If I remember .. he was sailing? Forgive me if I am wrong, much has been going on here.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.