Sunday 31 May 2020

Burda Jacket








Earlier this year I purchased the November 2019 issue of Burda Style magazine, and fell in love with quite a few of the jackets and coats in it.  Fast forward to late autumn in New Zealand and suddenly the idea of making some slightly warmer garments feels like a good idea.  I had seen a black wool blend with embroidered flowers on it for the last couple of years, and decided that this was the year I was going to buy some of it and use it in a garment for myself.

I spent a weekend tracing the pattern and this time added seam allowance to the paper pattern rather than trusting myself to remember as I cut the fabric out.  It definitely worked out a lot better, especially as I cut each pattern piece individually to take advantage of attempting to align the embroidery.

The pattern itself was relatively easy to sew, however I did find some of the instructions a little on the light side.  I think I get quite spoiled with the very detailed instructions indie designers give sewists, which include photo and diagrams too.  My biggest problem was the large black button I bought especially for the jacket wouldn't fit in my buttonhole foot, I found a perfectly matched raspberry one in my button jar, but decided that a black one was better, so bought a few different buttons till I found the perfect slightly glitzy one I ended up using.

The jacket has ended a little more cropped that I thought it would, but I think I am going to love wearing it as a smart casual warmer layer for work.

Pattern details: Burda 103/11-2019   size 38 no adjustments
Photos courtesy of Mr J

1 comment:

  1. you did such a good job on that jacket - lovely embroidery on it too

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.