Friday 1 August 2014

Lately








Gosh, the year is just whizzing by, it hard to believe that it is August already.  Officially one month of winter to go.  It has been a busy few days with work, visits to prospective high schools with Miss B, inter-school maths competitions,and today Mr J is home with a cold.  However the outside temperature is beautiful and mild today, so I have spent the morning weeding the vegetable garden and shaded flower garden in my back yard.  It is amazing what little treasure reveal themselves once the weeds are cleared:
  • my white Daphne is just starting to flower, so it smelt divine weeding around this plant
  • miniature cyclamen - these are all ex-indoor plants that I plant outside after they have finished flowering
  • a tiny spreading violet - normally I am quite ruthless and pull this plant out, it spreads very easily, but it provides a little extra colour in the garden at this time of the year.
Not much sewing has been done:
  • I did make a project pouch out the scrappy blocks I was creating - this has been sent to one of my Pay It Forward recipients - hopefully it has arrived at it's destination.
  • another paper pieced cushion has been started - this one for my nephew, who is mad about birds. Cockatoo pattern from here
I have just started reading The Layered Garden by David Culp.  I saw this book on my friend Nicole's blog, and was delighted to be able to get it from my library.  Beautiful photos - and very inspiring.

Wishing you all a fabulous weekend - whatever you may do.



3 comments:

  1. Hey you!!! Loving those gorgeous blooms up there! I find it so wonderful that you have flowers in the garden in the winter! And I am so glad you found the book at the library! I can't believe how fast time is going either! Just crazy as I feel like we just got out of winter! Wishing you a lovely end to your week friend!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Julie, and thank you for visiting me all the way from New Zealand. ;) You have pretty flowers and lovely quilt patterns. My mother was a wonderful quilter, so I really enjoy looking at nice homemade ones! Cheers from Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos today. Thank you for sharing.
    I love that cat fabric. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.