Friday 23 March 2018

Boat Neck Anegada Top











A while ago, this image popped up in my IG feed.  I fell in love with the cowl neck on this top instantly, and thought that it was so my style, but dismissed making it, cos it's made in knit fabric.  I haven't sewn anything knit since I was about 19 and did one of those Kombiknit classes at my local fabric store. That was a long time ago. However I couldn't get the idea of wearing that top out of my mind, so I ordered the pattern online from Halfmoon Atelier and it was sent to me instantly via a PDF.

Before I started sewing it, I watched tutorials on sewing knit fabrics, sussed out what stitches I had to use on my machine and practiced sewing on scraps of an old t-shirt and some of the remnants of the fabric I bought.

Over the past couple of days I sewed this top.  I made the size 4 and option A. and kept the sleeves at the length required for option B.  Everything else is exactly as the pattern is printed.  The pattern itself is easy, the instructions and diagrams are clear and I love the finished top except the cowl/collar which hasn't rolled enough over it's raw edges on both the front and back of the top,to give it that finished look.  I suspect it is because of the fabric I chose, which is a cotton/rayon/spandex blend. It drapes beautifully, but doesn't roll.

Considering it is my first time sewing anything knit in almost 30 years, I am still very pleased with the result, and am going to attempt it again, next time in a a cotton knit as shown in the pattern.

9 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful Julie, love the colour and that cowl neck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great result! Colour beautiful. I used to be a mad keen stretch sewer. Sewed everything from knickers on out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I'm so glad you enjoyed the pattern. It's possible that the back of the neck will start to roll a bit more with some wear and wash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your top is lovely Julie - it does drape very well...well done on biting the bullet and making it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely top, pretty colour! I haven't sewn clothes since intermediate school!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your top looks wonderful Julie, well done on going ahead and making it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done a great job of the top Julie! The drape neck is very flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the style. I really love the color!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.