Wednesday 13 March 2019

A Rayon Kyoto Tee









A little while ago, I bought 1.5m of this beautiful ochre toned  rayon from Spotlight.  I got the last of the bolt, so I was restricted  as to what I could make with it.  I felt that due to the colour and print on the fabric, something boho style was needed.  I kept seeing lots of tops with frills on the cuffs in the shops and debated making this ruffle sleeved top, a free pattern from Peppermint magazine, however I decided that a frill would probably annoy me flapping around my arms.

After perusing instagram for inspiration I came across these two Kyoto tees,  here and here, made from woven fabrics rather than the knits it requires. After messaging the two makers and finding out that they didn't adjust sizing at all to allow for using a  woven fabric,  I decided to risk it.  As a bonus,  I already had the pattern from when I made the sweatshirt version.

The rayon was pressed and starched before cutting and I very carefully cut the front and back pieces flat, by flipping the pattern pieces where the fold line would be.  I wasn't going to risk having those medallions sitting crookedly.  Mine is an XS size.  I used the same fabric as bias binding for the neckline, rather than making a facings.  I was pretty impressed with my pattern matching on the side seams.

Overall, I am really happy with how this top has turned out.  Possibly you lose the impact of the ruffle on the sleeve, due to the print, however it will be an infinitely wearable top in a rather different colour for me.

**Photos courtesy Miss B and Mr J**

11 comments:

  1. It looks good on you! Love the ochre and th print!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it is beautiful, love the ruffled sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty fabric, and a perfect choice for the pattern. Looks very nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to take the time to learn to make a top or two - yours always look so nice

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your shirt. That fabric is just right

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful top, your pattern matching is spot on! Looks really good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an impressive make Julie! The style and colour really suit you! And to think you bought your fabric from Spotlight! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rayon has a nice drape and your matching is impressive.
    You have skills!
    Beautiful finish and congratulations on another great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this tee- good job - it looks beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice fabric, you clever thing :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julie, I've had a nice little catch up read this morning. I hope your house is getting back to normal. I love your garment sewing - your fabric choices are beautiful and the finished items look gorgeous on you! Also, your Carolina Charm quilt is lovely - great what you can do with 10 minutes of play!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.